Before we start installing Solr instance on any machine, we should be clear on few concepts.
- What is Solr?
- Solr is Apache's product and a fast open-source Java search server.
- Why we need it?
- Solr enables you to easily create search engine for websites, databases and files.
- How can we install it?
- You can download any version of Solr from http://archive.apache.org/dist/lucene/solr/.
Steps to install after it is downloaded-
- Extract the downloaded Solr package and copy it on C or D drive
- Please make sure latest version of Java is installed on machine.
- You can start Solr instance by below command:
- By default, Solr will run on port 8983. However you can change it ../etc/Jetty.xml file. Look for <set name="port"><SystemProperty name="jetty.port" default="8983"></set> and change it.
- You can keep the below command in .bet file and run it automatically.
java -jar start.jar
"C:\solr-6.1.0\bin\solr" restart -h localhost -p 8984